School Closing Information
Families of Clay Community Schools Students:
As the winter season approaches, you might be affected by school closings, school delays, or early dismissals. When weather conditions are threatening, have your radio or TV tuned to the channels listed below or check the school corporation web page at www.clay.k12.in.us. Families should make arrangements now for childcare and transportation needs. If at all possible, the decision regarding school closings or delays will be made by 6:30 AM and announced to the following media:
WTHI TV, Terre Haute, IN: Channel 10 (www.wthitv.com)
WTWO TV, Terre Haute, IN: Channel 2 (www.mywabashvalley.com)
WTHI HI-99 Radio, Terre Haute, IN: 99.9 on FM Dial. HI-99 Text message or e-mail if parents sign up for this service online
DLC Media, Brazil, IN: WFNB “The Rock” 92.7 (www.927therock.com); WVIG “The Legend” 95.9 (www.959thelegend.com); WAMB “Timeless Classics” 99.5 (www.wambradio.com), all on FM Dial
When weather conditions are already severe the evening before, announcements of school closings or delays could be made in the evening prior to the following morning. Please listen to the stations listed above for any possible announcements of school closings or delays.
One of the following plans is possible during inclement weather:
- Close school entirely: No school for the whole day for all schools.
- Delay the start of school for one or two hours:
- Morning buses will run one or two hours late from their regular time.
- Breakfast will be served; however, it may not be what is listed on the menu. c. Pre-school morning students will not attend.
- Parents should continue to monitor the situation in the event a delay turns in to a closing because of worsening conditions.
- Early Release: On occasion, weather conditions change for the worse during the day and cause the school day to be shortened. Unless conditions dictate otherwise, students will be released after lunch. The media will be notified of the times of early release, so parents should continue to monitor the situation throughout the day. a. Afternoon buses will depart school early.
- Pre-school afternoon classes will be cancelled.
- Parents should continue to monitor the situation to learn of the time of early release.
When conditions warrant, school officials will be traveling the roads between 4:00 AM and 6:30 AM. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CONTACT THE SCHOOLS OR THE HOMES OF SCHOOL OFFICIALS BECAUSE THERE WILL BE NO ONE THERE TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS. BE SURE TO LISTEN TO THE MEDIA LISTED ABOVE.
These plans could be altered should the situation warrant a change.