Our drivers have been screened and possess all of the qualifications to drive a school bus in the state of Indiana and for Clay Community School Corporation. All drivers and substitute drivers are placed on a random Drug and Alcohol list and these tests are preformed quarterly. Drivers and substitute drivers must also attend the Department of Education’s annual safety meeting to continue to be qualified to drive. Drivers also receive addition training throughout the year as needed.
- Be at least twenty-one years of age.
- Complete an Expanded Criminal Background Check and a Child Protection Index Check.
- Pass a pre-employment drug screen
- Must also pass any random drug and alcohol tests after employment.
- Have a clear driving record
- Must hold a valid CDL license with Passenger (P) Endorsement and School Bus (S) Endorsement.
- Clay Community Schools will train drivers to obtain a CDL
- Must be certified by Indiana School Bus Committee and hold a current Yellow Card. This includes:
- Attending a School Bus Preservice class through the Department of Education (20 hours)
- Observing on School bus with on board for a minimum of 4 hours
- Driving and empty school bus for a minimum of 4 hours
- Driving a loaded school bus with a trainer for a minimum of 6 – 8 hours
- Must pass a CDL Physical Examination a minimum of every two years by a Certified Medical Examiner
- Must pass all Physical Fitness Certificate requirements a minimum of every 2 years.